Being Present, Mindfulness, the Power of Now; these concepts are being written and talked about a lot these days. Let’s explore this further.
The other day I was on my way home and stopped by a neighbor’s house “just for a moment”, I thought. Suddenly I was graciously drawn in, offered a cup of tea, conversation, and genuine friendship! My first thought was, “oh my, I really can’t stay, I need to get home, I have a million things to get done today!” And then I stopped my thoughts cold, took a deep breath and said to myself, “No! I am really enjoying myself and maybe this is just what I need. Why don’t you just chill and enjoy this moment!” This has always been hard for a person like me who has an agenda all the time. ???? But you know, I did sit back, let go, and immersed myself in this moment of lovely conversation, laughter, and fun. It was rejuvenating and made a positive impact on my day. The rest of the day fell into place with ease and I still had time to get some things done but with more joy and energy. Wow, what a lesson in allowing myself to “Be in the Present Moment.”
How to begin practicing Being in the Present Moment
- Take any activity and give it your full attention
- Start noticing everything around you; colors, smells, nature, people, listen
- Breathe in and out with conscious intention
- Be aware of your ‘inner body’ as you breathe
- As you exhale, breathe out tension and just let go
- Notice that you are more fully Present as you do this
Benefits of Being in the Present Moment (You’ll love this one!)
- Slows down the aging process– There is a timelessness when you go “within”, you are not bound to the past or future. Your physical body feels lighter and more alive.
- Strengthens the immune system-every cell awakens and has an increased capacity for self-renewal.
- Raises your energetic frequency which protects against anything that vibrates at a lower vibration such as anger, depression, etc.
In “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle, he says that “our suffering, sadness, and problems cannot survive in the Now.” That when you are conscious of the Present Moment you tap into beauty, love, joy, creativity, and inner peace as a result.
Artists and scientists report that this is where they create, from a place of “inner stillness” which is only found in the “Present Moment.” That’s where they tap into their creativity and ideas.
Here is another way we can be “Living in Harmony” with ourselves, others, and the world.
Namaste my dear friends,
Harmonizing Touch Healing Therapies
Contact me at: joandelagarza@comcast,net