I’ve come to the point in my Blog topics that it’s time to talk about Castor Oil! It is probably one of my favorite self-care tips and the healing benefits are vast.
Castor Oil has been used for various therapeutic purposes for thousands of years. Yes, I said thousands! Caster beans seeds were found in ancient Egyptian tombs, believed to be 4000 yrs old. Historical records reveal its medicinal use in many ancient cultures; Egypt, Rome, China, Africa, Greece, and India.
Although many doctors reject herbal treatments and folk remedies as unscientific, we must remember that the “root” of modern medicine grew from the healing properties of plants and how they were used in the past. Many well-known drugs today were derived from barks and leaves such as; Aspirin from the willow bark, Ephedrine from ephedra herb, Digitalis from foxglove, Codeine from poppy to name a few.
Modern pharmaceuticals use only a portion of the plant and in its synthetic form which is where the side effects come into play. When we use the whole plant, the body responds differently, and the healing properties can fully be assimilated.
One of the best ways to use Castor oil is by placing a “castor oil pack” on the body. Let’s talk about its amazing benefits first and hopefully you’ll be intrigued enough to read further! ????
Benefits of Castor Oil
- Improves the elimination of wastes, toxins, and the assimilation of nutrients
- Promotes lymphatic circulation– lymph system pulls excess fluid, toxins, and waste from cells
- Stimulates the liver-our livers perform hundreds of functions and process everything we take in to our bodies. As we age the liver can start under functioning and negatively affect our health
- Pain relief
- Decreases inflammation
- Draws acids and infection out of the body
- Calms the nervous system which promotes self-healing
- Detoxifies and tones vital organs, tissues and joints
- Improves Immune function by increasing the T-lymphocytes which kill mold, fungus, and bacteria
- Fights skin infections and wounds– skin is a reflection of the health of your gut, liver, immune system and hormone balance.
- Helps balance hormones by enhancing the absorption of fat molecules in the digestive tract-essential for the formation of hormones
- Need I say more? But wait there are more benefits! ……please do more research????
Positively affects these conditions:
Appendicitis Immune Health Pain
Arthritis Kidney Function Gall bladder disorders
Colitis Liver Conditions Gallstones
Digestive Complaints Lymphatic Function Toxemia
Lung Congestion Uterine/Ovarian Cysts Constipation
- Piece of cotton flannel or 100% wool flannel. Fold into 4 layers, creating a rectangular piece large enough to cover your abdominal area.
- High quality cold-pressed castor oil by Heritage Store found at most health stores.
- Heating Pad
- Saran wrap or a Disposable Pack-can be purchased from Baar.com. To protect clothes and furniture.
- Pour castor oil onto flannel or wool so it is soaked but not dripping.
- Place castor oil-soaked flannel on specific area for detoxing and healing properties:
liver/gallbladder area (right side under rib cage
abdomen (gastro-intestinal issues)
chest (for bronchitis/pneumonia)
uterus (lower abdomen for fibroids, cyst, menstrual pain)
3. Cover with saran wrap and a small towel or a protective disposable pack (can be purchased from www.Baar.com).
4.Place heating pad and adjust temperature for comfort.
5. Keep on area for 1- 2 hours.
6. For most applications use at least three days in a row. Your health condition and the severity of it will determine how often you want to use it.
7. Store the disposable pack and flannel in a plastic bag, store in cool dry place or refrigerate in between uses. Re-saturate cloth with each use. Replace after 8-10 uses.
Improving our physical health by healing and rejuvenating our bodies is another way we can be “Living in Harmony”.
References: * Castor Oil Pack Therapy by Bruce Baar, MS, ND
* Castor Oil and It’s Properties by Beth M. Ley, Ph.D
Namaste my dear friends,
Joanie DelaGarza, RN, HTCP, CR
Harmonizing Touch Healing Therapies
Energy Medicine & Light Therapy